(Kaṭhopanishad 1.3.3 to 1.3.9)
- The intelligence (charioteer) should look for guidance from the Soul (master of the chariot) – the inner voice of Truth.
- The mind (reins) must heed the guidance of the intelligence (viveka), winning over the influence of desires and intolerance.
- The senses cannot be controlled directly by the intelligence. The intelligence has to guide the senses through the mind. Only disciplined senses will act according to this guidance.
- Discipline the senses (horses) through sensory austerities.
- Strengthen the mind (reins) through mind-related austerities and disciplines.
- Sharpen the intelligence (charioteer) by practising viveka (discrimination).
- Listen to viveka (the voice of Truth).
The disciplined senses following the mind, mind guided by the intelligence, the intelligence always looking for guidance from the Soul, will lead us to the ultimate auspicious goal.